Special Cases of Transportation
Children, pregnant women and physically disabled passengers
Transportation of Unaccompanied Minors
Children aged between five (5) and fourteen (14) years may only fly unaccompanied if they are traveling with someone (parents, legal guardians or trustees) who at least 18 years old or they are using our unaccompanied minor service UM.
|Age of Child||Can I use UM service?||How much will the UM service cost?|
|Under 5 years||UM service is unavailable, your child must travel with someone (parents, legal guardians or trustees ) over the age of 18.||Unavailable|
|5- 14 years||You must book UM service in advance and purchase any available ticket. Children aged under 12 years have 25 % discount for any available adult fare .||No additional charge|
|14-18 years||Your child can travel alone on any AZAL flights without any special assistance, but upon a special request of children’s parents, legal guardians or trustees airline can provide you with UM service.||No additional charge|
Azerbaijan Airlines CJSC is unable to offer the UM service in the following situations:
- The UM service cannot be used if the journey includes transfer between terminals/airports.
- The UM service is not available on AZAL’s marketing Code-Share flights and on the flights involving interlines carrier’s flights.
- We are unable to accept children on a flight with a night stop in the transfer point.
Different legal requirements by countries
- Some countries’ immigration departments require additional documentation for all children travelling into, out of or transiting their country. The extra documentation that you may require varies depending on the country, so please make sure you have everything you need before you travel.
- The IATA Travel Centre can advise you what documentation is required for each country. Just make sure you use the date of birth of your child to ensure the extra requirements are displayed.
Before the Flight
- In order to use the UM service, you should to book this service on all route segments in advance, and to obtain confirmation from the airline.
- You can order a children’s meal for your child at the time of booking the ticket, but not later than 20 hours before departure.
- Parents, legal guardians or trustees must bring the children to check-in at least 2 hours before take-off. (in some airports 3 hours)
- The UM service is available only if you have permission from the child’s parents, guardians or their trustees on the flight of unaccompanied children. Additionally, «Declaration of parents, guardian for the carriage of unaccompanied child» is filled out and signed by the parents or legal guardians of such children, established by the Airline sample.
- A staff member will accompany your child during the passage of all formalities in the area of airport security, the waiting area and boarding gates until the child boards on the aircraft where our cabin crew will then look after them.
- Parents, legal guardians or trustees must stay at the airport until a flight has departed.
In the Air
- Once on board our cabin crew will collect your child’s passport and return it to them before they leave the aircraft.
- During the flight our cabin crew will keep an eye on your child and make sure they have everything they need.
- To make sure your child has a comfortable flight pack any medication, warm clothing and a favorite toy or game in their hand baggage.
- When the flights arrive, our ground staff will accompany your child during all procedures of arrival.
- Your child will be released to the care of the person/s stated on the « Declaration of parents, guardian for the carriage of unaccompanied child» in exchange for their signatures, after the stated names-surnames/ID documents of the persons taking delivery of the children are checked.
- If your nominated adult is delayed advise us immediately as we have limited hours of operation at some airports.
UM service booking information
- In order to book the UM service you can address in the offices and representative offices of the Airline or your travel agent
Carriage of Pregnant Women, Postpartum Women and Newborns
Carriage of a pregnant woman, a postpartum woman, or a newborn baby should be coordinated beforehand with the airline at the time of purchasing tickets and booking seats.
The pregnant woman is to determine herself the possibility of use of air transportation, and she should take into account the possible danger for her or her (newborn or to-be-born) baby’s health during the carriage, based on her or her baby’s health condition.
The following persons are not allowed to “Azerbaijan Airlines” CJSC flights:
- Pregnant women after the 32-nd week of pregnancy;
- Postpartum women during 7 days after giving birth.
- Only the babies of more than 7 days old are accepted to “Azerbaijan Airlines” CJSC flights in the prescribed manner – the baby is to be attended by the mother, father or another passenger taking responsibility for the baby.
The rules of issuing documents for pregnant women, postpartum women and newborn babies:
Based on the information provided verbally by the pregnant passenger during check-in in case of the period of passenger’s pregnancy is up to 26 weeks, the passenger must personally complete and sign a declaration releasing the airline from liability during the carriage of pregnant women. In this case, a certificate from the attending physician about pregnancy and health status is not required.
If the period of a passenger’s pregnancy declared as from 26 to 32 weeks (including 32 weeks), the passenger must personally complete and sign the above mentioned declaration for the release of airline from liability for the carriage of pregnant women and also provide a certificate of pregnancy and health status.
Such certificate should be issued in a medical treatment facility and approved by stamp of attending physician (practicing physician) of the passenger. The certificate must indicate information about the term of pregnancy, its form (monocyesis or multicyesis), the nature of its flowing (normal, complex) and the absence of pathologies of pregnancy, the risk of miscarriage or premature birth which would not allow the woman to be transported by air.
For a newborn baby’s transportation the birth certificate (maternity hospital certificate) should be submitted. For a baby over 7 days old the certificate about his/her health condition is not required.
The carrier accepts to transport the pregnant woman, postpartum woman, newborn baby to the first destination point (to the point where “AZAL” is the operator), and does not take responsibility for the other operator’s refusal to transport them. The carrier never takes responsibility for worsening of health of a pregnant woman, a postpartum woman, a newborn baby and for any undesirable negative situations arising during, or after the flight. The present transportation rules are used during the issuance of air transportation (when flying back to Azerbaijan – on board aircraft or in the “Azerbaijan Airlines” CJSC representatives in foreign countries).
Physically Disabled Passengers
A passenger who is unable to travel in a sitting position and has to remain in a lying state due to health reasons belongs to the category of stretcher passengers.
Transportation of stretcher passengers shall be agreed with Airline not less than 48 hours prior to departure of a scheduled flight. The medical certificate signed by the doctor containing the approval for transportation on the aircraft, and also requirements to transportation conditions shall be provided.
Transportation of severely medical passengers and medical passengers on a stretcher is made only accompanied by doctor (if status/health of the medical passenger demands medical supervision) or the persons providing care for medical passenger in flight.
Transportation of medical passengers on a stretcher is made with the provision of seats on the aircraft and payment:
- In case the passenger travels from Baku “one way” as medical passenger on stretcher – 6 seats of economy class (1 seat with payment of 100% to the applied tariff, and also with collection of charges and fees, and the remaining 5 seats with payment of 75% of tariff);
- In case the passenger travels on the international flight to Baku as the “passenger on stretcher”- 6 seat of economy class (1 seat with payment of 100% to the applied tariff, and also with collection of charges and fees, and the remaining 5 seats with payment of 150% of tariff).
- Transportation of the medical passengers on stretcher is carried only in the cabin of economy class at the Aircrafts of airline.
- Regardless of the class of service making refund of unused tickets is not permitted 40 minutes and less prior to departure
If a passenger is physically handicapped and requires a wheelchair to be moved, such carriage transport must be agreed with the airline in advance.
The airline recommends in advance no later than 2 hours (in some airports 3 hours) before departure time, to arrive for check-in registration at the airport and it is obligatory to address the check-in desk in order that our personnel could give you necessary help.