Passengers with special needs
Passengers with special needs are those customers of Bulgaria Air, whose physical or medical status requires provision of additional services or certain specialized assistance. The aviation company must be notified of passengers with special needs as early as the time of making a reservation or purchasing a ticket, but not later than 3 working days before the flight date, to be able to guarantee the services required. Bulgaria Air does not accept stretcher cases for carriage on board.
The main categories of customers with special needs are:
Passengers with limitations: customers suffering from serious chronic diseases, who have recently suffered an accident or have had surgery, as well as passengers whose ability to move freely or without assistance is impaired or difficult.
For such persons Bulgaria Air requires written authorization from a medical doctor concerning the fitness of the passenger to travel by air. In case in the company’s opinion the passenger’s condition requires an escort, transportation may be denied, if such was not arranged for at the passenger’s expense. Should the passenger require assistance for moving within the airport, it is provided by the aviation company at no charge. The medical authorization should be submitted to Bulgaria Air not later than 3 working days before the flight.
Battery-powered wheelchairs/mobility aids without requirement for service and with:
- non-spillable batteries are accepted on Bulgaria Air flights provided the aviation company has been notified at least 24 hours before the flight.
- spillable batteries cannot be accepted for carriage.
Passengers with diseases: customers suffering from serious chronic diseases, who have recently suffered an accident or have had surgery. Such passengers may be carried, if necessary, with written authorization from a medical doctor discharging the aviation company from liability in the event of incidents or complications, caused by travel by air. The medical authorization should be submitted to Bulgaria Air not later than 3 working days before the flight.
Expectant mothers and new-born babies: Bulgaria Air may accept for carriage by air expectant mothers not later than the 34-th week of gestation or new-born babies of less than 2 years of age, whereas every baby should travel with not less than one adult escort. Expectant mothers may be carried, if necessary, with written authorization from a medical doctor discharging the aviation company from liability in the event of incidents or complications, caused by travel by air. The medical authorization should be submitted to Bulgaria Air not later than 3 working days before the flight.
An unaccompanied minor (UM) – is any child of 3 to 12 years of age who is not accompanied by parent/guardian or another passenger-escort on the same flight. Children of less than 3 years of age may not use the service for unaccompanied minor.
An escort may be a parent/guardian or another passenger of not less than 18 years of age.
Service for unaccompanied minor (UM) – services and special care for children who fly on their own – staff at the airport of departure take the child from the sender and accompany the child throughout all airport procedures at both airports and bring the unaccompanied minor to the person who meets the child.
Form – information from parent/guardian – a document, which by obligation is filled in by the parent/guardian of the child. It contains full information about the child, together with the names, addresses and phone contacts of the sender and the person who meets the child.
Escort– a stewardess travelling with the child and taking care of him/her throughout the flight. This service is obligatory for carriage of unaccompanied minors between 3 and 5 years of age and is possible, upon request, for children of age of more than 5 years.
Requirements for the service for unaccompanied minors
The procedure applicable to unaccompanied minors is mandatory for children from 3 to 12 years of age travelling on their own on flights of Bulgaria Air.
A ticket for an unaccompanied minor may not be purchased via the official website of Bulgaria Air.
If the flight is operated by another aviation company other conditions may apply. If you want to request the service for unaccompanied minor you must contact the customer service centre of Bulgaria Air at telephone +359 2 40 20 400 or by e-mail: callFB@air.bg.
When making a flight reservation the parent/guardian is given an information form concerning the child, which should be filled in and submitted to the escort stewardess before the flight. At check-in the parent/guardian must stay at the departure airport until take-off of the aircraft and in constant contact with representatives of the aviation company at the airport until arrival of the aircraft at the destination airport.
Flight reservations for unaccompanied minors may not comprise night stopover or transfer, unless the parent/guardian has provided someone to meet and care for the minor at the place of transfer. Minors must have all documents required for the trip: a passport, visas, health certificates required by the country of origin, the country of transit and the country of destination. If you need further information about the safety rules applicable to passengers with special needs and about the technical limitations attributable to the size of aircraft and applicable to carriage of such persons or to their mobility aids, please contact our ticket centres or the Customer Service Centre.
A mandatory requirement for confirmation of travel of any unaccompanied minor is the customer to provide the following information to Bulgaria Air:
- full name, age and date of birth of the unaccompanied minor;
- full name, telephone contact number and full address of the persons who see the minor off and meet the minor at the point of arrival.
Aviation company Bulgaria Air does not take for carriage unaccompanied minors, for which Sofia airport is a transfer point. Exceptions are possible only if information is provided about contact persons at the transfer point.
Age restrictions for unaccompanied minors
The child’s age is taken into consideration as of the date of the outbound flight. If a child turns 12 years of age after departure, i.e. after completion of one segment of the flight, it is not necessary to pay the difference to adult fares for use of the remaining segments of the ticket.
Passenger with special needs not acceptable for carriage by Bulgaria Air
- Passengers who have an infectious disease;
- Passengers with offensive behaviour;
- Expectant mothers after the 34-th week of gestation;
- Passengers who have had a coronary thrombosis within the previous 3 weeks unless it has been a very mild one and the physician in charge of the case is aware that the aircraft with the passenger may reach altitudes over 8,000 feet [2,400-2,500 m];
- Passengers with respiratory disease sufficient to cause dyspnoea (shortness of breath) at rest or on very mild exertion. Occasionally, additional oxygen may be carried on board the aircraft after special confirmation by the aviation company.
- Passengers who have undergone abdominal surgery within the previous 2 weeks.
- Passengers who have suffered a spontaneous pneumothorax and where the lungs have not yet fully expanded;
- Passengers who within the previous 3 weeks have suffered a significant haemorrhage or are anaemic;
- Passengers with certain haemoglobin disorders, particularly sickle-cell anaemia;
- Passengers with any type of mental disorder may only be carried if they are sedated and accompanied by an appropriate escort;
- New-born babies within the first 7 days after birth;
- Premature born babies without clearance in writing by a medical doctor.
Phone.: 0032 2 753 20 16/17
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Phone.: 0049 30 2514405/60
Fax: 0049 30 2513330
Fax: 00431 5352552
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Fax: 972-3- 7951354
Fax: (+359) 056 870 132
Fax: (+359) 052 501 039